How To Get Started in Graphic Designing in 2022!
By CreativB Studios – 10 February 2022
Start by asking yourself a few questions:
- Why do I want to learn graphic design?
- What resources are available to me?
- How much time or money can I invest in learning?
If you think graphic designing Is as easy as downloading free templates, editing a few things, and getting lots of money for it then I have some bad news for you.
Graphic designing is much more than that, it requires you to know the theoretical and practical aspects of design as well as marketing. It requires you to be patient and strong-headed while making creative decisions as one small mistake can cost your client a lot of money.
But don’t get me wrong, graphic designing is an amazing career option and allows you to generate multiple income streams, but like every career, it requires effort and practice.
What resources are available to me for graphic designing?
Once you are sure about your decision and are looking to get straight into the process of becoming a graphic designer, think about the resources that are available to you. Do you have a laptop or a PC? Are the specifications enough to handle the software/softwares?
You don’t need an expensive laptop/PC to get started but you do need the bare minimum. Currently even the most affordable laptops/PC has good specifications, which is enough for a beginner to start learning, practicing, and evening working on projects.
How much time or money can I invest in learning graphic designing?
Let’s talk about time first, in order to be a good graphic designer, you HAVE to put in the time to be successful. The real question is how much time? It depends on you, are you a student fresh out of high school? Or are you someone with 2 jobs trying to make ends meet? Either way, the more time you have the faster you can learn graphic designing.
Now, let’s talk about money, if you have some money you can invest then its best to opt for some courses on “coursera” or any local design institute but if you don’t have any money to invest (like me) then you should start doing research online on the basics of design, watch youtube tutorials (you can check out the Top 4 Youtube channels to learn graphic designing for free), practice by recreating a design, and initially offering your services for free.
You can follow this step-by-step guide to becoming a graphic designer:
- Learn the basics of design (Typography, Color, Layout, etc)
- Download the necessary software (Paid and Free Options available)
- Recreate famous designs (don’t try publishing as your own)
- Create personal projects (it could be anything, a personal logo, business card, etc)
- Join a community (it could be a group on Facebook or a club in college, doesn’t matter, just join one)
- Apply for an internship at a design agency or start offering your services online.
- Start Posting your work online! (Instagram, Behance, Dribbble, Facebook, etc)
- Practice, Practice, and Practice!